Aquatics and supervision
Active Moreland facilities are an accredited Watch Around Water Facility. The Water Around Water guidelines have been developed by Aquatics & Recreation Victoria and Life Saving Victoria to educate the public about adequate supervision and to encourage parent/guardians to take on this responsibility when visiting a public aquatic facility.
Therefore, the following safe supervision policies must be adhered to:
Children under 5 years old
- Parents will be issued a yellow wristband from reception upon entry.
- Children under 5 years old must be constantly supervised by a parent/guardian.
- Adequate supervision requires the parent/guardian to accompany the child in the water and remain within arm's reach of the child at all times.
Children under 10 years old
- Will be issued a yellow wristband from reception upon entry.
- Children under 10 years old will not be admitted without an appropriate parent/guardian.
- The parent/guardian must be 16 years or over and adhere to all conditions of entry.
- Children under 10 years old must be constantly supervised by a parent/guardian while in the aquatic area of the centre.
- The parent/guardian must position himself or herself to have a clear view of the child with no physical or structural barriers between them and the child.
Children 10 years and older
- For children 10 years and older, parents must use their knowledge of the child's swimming ability to determine the level of supervision required.
- Parent /guardians are not required to be present in the centre.
Here are some facts you need to be aware of:
The supervision of children in aquatic facilities is not the sole responsibility of lifeguards.
Lifeguards are employed on a 1:100 ratio; this is based on the expectation that parents will provide direct supervision of child.
Parents are required to provide the constant and direct supervision needed for young children.
For further information on water safety go to: