White Ribbon and stopping violence against women
What is White Ribbon?
White Ribbon encourages men to take a stand to assert that violence against women and their children, in any form, is never acceptable.
Through an annual campaign and primary prevention initiatives, White Ribbon seeks to raise awareness and change the attitudes and behaviours that lead to and perpetuate violence against women.
Why the work of White Ribbon is so important
Violence against women is a grave problem in Australian society.
- One woman is killed every week by a current or former partner.
- One in three women over the age of 15 report physical or sexual violence at some time in their lives.
- Domestic and family violence is the major cause of homelessness for women and their children, and a recognised form of child abuse.
What sports clubs can do to help prevent violence against women
You can put a stop to violence against women. Don't be afraid to stand up.
Why Moreland Council is involved
Moreland Council supports White Ribbon and is committed to preventing family violence and violence against women
Council has endorsed the Preventing Family Violence in Moreland Strategy and is currently implementing activities to address the drivers of family violence through action plans.
- Preventing Family Violence in Moreland Strategy 2016-20 (PDF 1Mb)
- Preventing Family Violence in Moreland Strategy 2016-20 (DOC 264Kb)