Information about reopening
The health and safety of our community and staff remains our highest priority as we re-open some branches and resume some of our services. This means there are changes to the way our libraries operate, including strict hygiene and physical distancing rules.
Here is what you need to know, effective from Tuesday, 24 November 2020.
- Glenroy, Brunswick and Coburg libraries will be open from 10am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. The hours for each location may change so it’s important to check our Location and hours for more information.
- When you visit a library, a concierge will greet you, ask for your library card or name and phone number, and provide hand sanitiser for you to use. Anyone 12 years of age and over must wear a mask inside. These are required conditions of entry.
- There will also be some other measures in place – things like taking card payments only, increased cleaning, borrowing only via the self-service kiosks, and returns only via the external returns chutes. These measures will be signposted and communicated upon entry.
- If you are unwell, do not visit. We cannot stress this enough. Stay home and we will gladly deliver items to you through our Books to your door service if you are a Moreland resident.
- There is a limit of 20 visitors in the library. We are asking you to be patient if there are queues and strongly urge you to limit family visits to one person from the household, although children will require a supervisory adult. Attending the library as a family means a longer waiting time for others.
- You can reserve items in the library catalogue, or you can call us to arrange the reservation of items. You will receive an email when your items are ready to collect.
- You will need to keep your visit to 45 minutes or less. This will help to ensure fair access to the library as only 20 people can be in the library at one time.
- A limited number of PCs will be available, and sessions will be restricted to a maximum of 30 minutes per day. There’ll be no exceptions or extensions to the time limit. We are not able to help you use the PCs unless we can do so from a 1.5 metre distance.
- Due dates for all physical collection items have been extended to 30 November 2020. Most items will be automatically renewed, and we are not applying overdue fines.
- We will continue to offer the 'Books to your door' home delivery service until 20 January 2021.
- You can return items through the external returns chutes at Brunswick, Coburg and Glenroy libraries. Books will be quarantined for a recommended period after return, so they may be lingering on your card for up to a week. Don’t worry, we won’t be applying any overdue fines.
- Photocopying, scanning and printing facilities will be available.
- Study spaces will continue to be closed and newspapers will be unavailable.
- Many regular programs including Storytime, Rhymetime, English Conversation Club, events and book clubs will continue to be offered online.
Finally, we are all continuing to navigate these unprecedented times together and we may need to make further adjustments along the way as we slowly progress toward pre-COVID-19 services.
We thank you for your continued understanding, patience and support as we reopen libraries and resume services.